In this notice, we detail what data TikTok collects and discloses, and why it does so
TikTok is a short-form, video-sharing app that allows users to create and share 15-second videos, on any topic.
TikTok maintains a separate app for the Chinese market, known as Duyin, which has over 300 million active monthly users. The new app’s logo is a combination of the Musical.ly and Duyin logos.
Its currently available to one billion users worldwide who are 13 years or older
The type of information collected
We’ll ask for your consent before we collect any of your info, which could include
Your Profile Information
You give us information when you register on the Platform, including your username, password, date of birth (where applicable), email address and/or telephone number, information you disclose in your user profile, and your photograph or profile video.
User Content and Behavioral Information
We process the content you generate and view on the Platform, including preferences you set photographs, audios and videos you upload or create, comments and livestreams you make. We collect User Content through pre-loading at the time of creation, import, or upload, regardless of whether you choose to save or upload that User Content, in order to recommend audio options and provide other personalized recommendations.
We also collect information on your preferences, including your interests, gender and age for the purpose of personalizing content. We process information about your followers, the likes you receive and responses to content you upload, for the purposes of promoting your content to other users and exploring whether your profile presents further opportunities for collaboration. Where appropriate, we will also use this information for the purpose of serving personalized advertising
Third party information
You may choose to share certain data with us from third parties or through your use of the Platform, we may collect such third party data automatically.
Your device’s technical data
This includes your IP address, user agent, mobile carrier, time zone settings, identifiers for advertising purposes, model of your device, the device system, network type, device IDs, your screen resolution and operating system, app and file names and types, keystroke patterns or rhythms, battery state, audio settings and connected audio devices.
Your Location data
This includes your country, city, and state location, which is determined by your IP address and SIM card.
Your demographic data
This includes your age, gender, race/ethnicity to ensure that you are old enough to use the Platform, or in other instances where verification may be required.
How we use your information
We will use the information we collect about you in the following ways
- notify you about changes to our service;
- provide you with user support;
- Personalize the content you receive and provide you with tailored content that will be of interest to you;
- enable you to share User Content and interact with other users;
- enable our messenger service to function if you choose to use this function;
- enable you to participate in the virtual items program;
- communicate with you;
- to help us detect and combat abuse, harmful activity, fraud, spam, and illegal activity on the Platform;
- ensure your safety and security including reviewing user content, messages and associated metadata for breach of our Community Guidelines and other inappropriate content;
- ensure content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device;
- improve, promote and develop the Platform and promote popular topics, hashtags and campaigns on the Platform;
- carry out data analysis and test the Platform to ensure its stability and security;
- allow you to participate in interactive features of the Platform;
- to enable you to socialize on the Platform, for example, by allowing other users to identify you via the "Find other friends" function or through their phone contacts;
- to ensure that you are old enough to use our Platform (as required by law).
- provide you with personalized advertising;
- provide you with location-based services (where those services are available in your jurisdiction);
- To inform our algorithms
- enforce our terms, conditions and policies;
- administer the Platform including troubleshooting; and
- to facilitate sales, promotion, and purchase of goods and services and to provide user support
Who we may share your information with
We may share information with trusted entities that help us fulfill our mission, including
Our business partners
We share certain information with our business partners such as third part services if you give them access to your account. If you choose to register your account using any of your social network account details (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google) you will provide us or allow your social network to provide us with your phone number, email address, username and public profile. We will likewise share certain information with the relevant social network such as your app ID, access token and the referring URL
If you choose to Buy Coins or conduct other payment related transactions, we will share data with the relevant payment provider to facilitate this transaction. For Coin transactions, we share a transaction ID to enable us to identify you and credit your account with the correct value in coins.
We provide information and content to service providers who support our business, such as cloud service providers, marketing providers and providers of content moderation services to ensure that the Platform is a safe and enjoyable place
We provide information to our third-party analytics providers also help us serve targeted adverts.
Advertisers and Advertising Networks
We share information with advertisers and third-party measurement companies to show how many and which users of the Platform have viewed or clicked on an advertisement. We share your device ID with measurement companies so that we can link your activity on the Platform with your activity on other websites; we then use this information to show you adverts which may be of interest to you.
Our Corporate Group
We may also share your information with other members, subsidiaries, or affiliates of our corporate group
We will share your information with law enforcement agencies, public authorities or other organizations if legally required to do so, or if such use is reasonably necessary to.
Please note that if your profile is public, your content will be visible to anyone on the Platform and may also be accessed or shared by your friends and followers as well as third parties such as search engines, content aggregators and news sites.
Sale or Merger
We will disclose user information in the event of:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets (whether a result of liquidation, bankruptcy or otherwise), in which case we will disclose your data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- If we sell, buy, merge, are acquired by, or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets.
Where we store your personal data
Your personal data may be stored on a server located in Singapore or the United States, outside of the country where you live. We maintain major servers around the world to bring you our services globally and continuously.
How you can manage your data
- You can access and edit most of your profile information by signing into TikTok
- You can delete the User Content you uploaded.
- We also provide a number of tools in Settings that allow you to control, among others, who can view your videos, send you messages, or post comments to your videos
- You may delete your entire account in Settings.